Back to school……….

Back to school……….

The summers are getting hotter with every passing year…more than my body; my heart was getting scorched by the spirited little morons, playing in the society compound all day and night. No schools to attend, no office to go to, no boss to report to, no inevitably horrible canteen food…and a smirk that always wished me a good day sarcastically...

…and then there was a wind of change…quite literally…the seemingly ever glaring sun got over shadowed …the high flying hot air was pinned down by a chilly, damp breeze…the pretentiously dead trees gained and passed on the momentum to each other…it was a warm up time for the car wipers…it was the time for the hibernating raincoats and umbrellas to come out…it was the time for the sky to cry…it was my time for redemption…it was the time for the kids to return to the school…it was Monsoon…

Suddenly all the roads and all possible modes of transports diverted towards schools. The usually bright looking children (dressed and otherwise) of summer were now sized up in glum and definitely not colourful school uniforms…

Mothers had a sympathetic looks on their faces as if they were seeing their children off for a 5 hour battle…but as soon as the kids turned their backs the ‘sympathy’ fell off like a bad makeup...expressions were similar to a slave set free after two months of tough summer.

Fathers were as usual irritated, because the only things that would have reined their wives were now reining themselves for good 10 months.

Amidst the yanking, cranking, howling, sobbing I found myself with a ceaseless grin…the expression of irritability was directly proportional to my width of smile…

Getting into the office bus was less painful. After all I wasn’t the only one climbing the bus. The bus moved ahead and a nice cool breeze glided me back in past….

I hated going to school. During the nearing days of doom (that will be school days) my father used to wonder that what got me interested in news, especially weather reports. My only ray of hope was the monsoon (nothing more ironical than finding a ray of hope in monsoon). I prayed like I never did in rest of the 11 months and 29 days…I wished for a rain that would drown my school, wash off my teachers, drain down my classmates and do all things necessary for a school to not function…

My classroom turn into a muddy puddle…hopping big frogs…making my teachers leap to safe heights where frogs won’t reach…wearing raincoats in the class...eating tiffin within the raincoats…A persistent shower washing away each and every word my teacher wrote on the blackboard…the melted chalks that would never bind together to form a writing...permission to use blackboard as a raft for going to toilets…Finally the teachers relenting and declaring the closing of school …and as soon as they do that the school crumbles down completely…assuring another 6-12 months post monsoon to get renovated and opened…wow!!! No school for one year!!!

Raindrop never seemed so pleasant...the vicious circle of the school was being taken care of…the breed of schools was laid with the dinosaurs....muhuhuhahahahaha

….and a little tap on shoulder brought things back in perspective…the leaping sheep were made to take a break and the window was shut on my face…a shut window with the possibility of dead schools…none of it ever happened…the school prevailed…again…

I closed my eyes for a moment and got the glimpse of my grinning teachers…even worse bosses; things changed for bad, from hot pan to fire…even worse… from school to office…I looked at my watch…it was 15 minutes before I reached my office…I closed my eyes hurriedly ideating, hoping and praying for a disaster that will destroy my office in next 15 minutes…the resting sheep got back to leaping….

Some things in life never change…never grow up. My feeling towards schools (and now office) is one it.

Comments

Popular Posts